Recipe #3: West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup

Thursday, December 18, 2014

I'll admit that this was another recipe that gave me many doubts during the cooking process. I love sweet potatoes, and I love peanuts, but in a soup together?? Nevertheless, it looked really interesting, so I gave it a try. And I am SO glad I did! Everyone absolutely loved it and said it was definitely a make-again. Curtis brought some to school today for a classmate, and his response was "I could eat this every day for a year!"

So here is the recipe for your cooking pleasure...


West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup

Ingredients:

3 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, minced
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 tbsp peanut butter
black pepper
3 tbsp minced fresh cilantro leaves

Directions:

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, coriander, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the broth, water, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat to low and cook, partially covered, until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes.

Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor until a desired consistency is reached - I think it tastes best to puree about half the soup, for a smooth consistency that still has body. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in the cilantro, and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)