A Day for Gratitude

Sunday, October 4, 2015


Happy October 4th! I hope you are feeling good, warm, happy, cheerful, fabulous, chipper, and awesome...

I'm feeling blue. There is a sad piece of news on my mind today, which makes it a little more difficult to feel the above emotions, which means that I'd better set to work thinking about something else. Like what I'm grateful for. And what I'm excited about. And what I like about life (wow, this list is going to be long).

So here goes...

...It's apple season in Vermont, which means that approximately every other tree across the state is loaded down with a kazillion tart little numbers. Most of them are wild and free for the taking. This puts me in mind of sauce, cider, juice, pie, dumplings, salad, canning, baking, and generally living in the kitchen.

...An old friend from the Magdalen Islands called and left a message on Papa's phone. He wanted to know when we were coming home, and would we get to go ice skating together this winter? It made me miss him, miss the Islands, miss ice skating, miss hearing archaic French, and pretty much want to hit the road this afternoon.

...Playing Bach's Arioso on the cello is WAY more fun than I'd ever imagined!

...The temps here have finally reached freezing, so we picked all of the remaining tomatoes and are going to make them into a huge luscious salsa. I love fresh salsa. #countrylife

...Yesterday morning someone looked out the window and noticed that there was a mother deer in our backyard, and a baby deer nursing. Totally, totally cute. (to whom it may concern, regarding the venison: also yum. But I'm focusing on the cute today. Please bear with me. :)

...A local couple is moving and they gave us a brand new salad spinner. It completely made my day! I've been wanting one of those handy contraptions for eons! Salad ahoy!

...Farmer Ryan gave us a bunch of extra scallions. I've eaten more scallions this week than in the last five years combined. They have been tasty, tasty, TASTY! I've been putting them on everything, and then some.

...Curtis arrives home in 2 days, 19 hours, and a negligible number of minutes. I'm going to hug him for a week.

...A dear friend just got engaged!!!!!!!!!! And another dear friend out in California is getting married today!!!!!!!!! Now that is exciting news!!!!

Okay, I'm going to stop this list now, because otherwise I'll keep going for an hour. I feel way better! Way, way better! Now it's time to go make dinner. We'll have burritos, and since it's Sunday, everyone will pitch in and help. I'm going to saute andouille sausage and Ibs will make her famous guacamole... and maybe, just maybe, the guys will make stuffed peppers. Please, please, please, don't get me going about their stuffed peppers. Those little items are like a million bucks in a bite - too tasty for words. Think savory, spicy, melty, cheesy, rice-y, sausage-y, peppery, I'd better stop. Oooooh yeah I'd better stop. I hope the guys make them for dinner.

Happy start-of-a-new-week, folks!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)