A sign of spring

Saturday, March 8, 2014

This morning I saw a crow for the first time in months. It struck me because I realized that it's been a long time -- a winter's time -- since the last sighting, unless you count the ones you see when traveling. Which I don't. (when I'm talking about home-crow-sightings, that is.) The one I saw this morning was large and hulking and the color of a starless night, which is the way most crows look, and he reminded me so much of our friend old black-toed Bob that it made me start missing Bob all over again. Bob is another crow, actually, a French crow from the Islands. We have lots of good memories of him, sitting on our deck or knocking on the windows to be fed, and then greedily munching whatever we gave him. I think, if we would have been there for just a little longer, Bob could have been a very tame bird.
But, back to the one I saw this morning, it made me wonder if it was a sign of spring? If crows don't like winter, or if they generally head south when it gets cold, I'm not aware of it. That's probably because I am only used to the habits of Bob, who liked to roll around in snow drifts and perform impressive acrobatic stunts in the frigid North wind. Nonetheless, I am hoping that today's sighting does mean that spring is on the way. If it's any indication, crow #1 was just now joined by three others, and they are all sitting in the tree outside my window, cawing wildly. Happy almost-spring!

1 comment:

  1. It is certainly getting warmer! I saw several chickadees hopping around in a tree this morning. I don't think chickadees are officially a sign of spring, but the way they were chirping happily, it sure sounded like spring must be right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)