Thankfulness Day 5: Best Tomato Soup Ever!

Friday, October 17, 2014

This is by far the best tomato soup recipe ever, in my opinion... no surprise that it's by the amazing Ree Drummond (her cookbooks are totally on my wish list!!). So far, every recipe of hers that I've made - thanks to www.foodnetwork.com, has been fabulous. This tomato soup is no exception. The only downside? You won't have any leftovers, it's that good...

Best Tomato Soup Ever 

Ingredients

1 medium white or yellow onion
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
One 46-ounce bottle or can tomato juice
3 to 6 tablespoons sugar
1 or 2 tablespoons chicken base
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Directions

To begin, dice the onion. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven. Throw in the onion and cook until translucent. Now dump in the diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the tomato juice.

Next - and this is important - in order to combat the acidity of the tomatoes add 3 to 6 tablespoons of sugar. Now, you'll want to start on the low side, then taste and add more as needed. Some tomatoes and juice have more of an acidic bite than others.

Next, add 1 or 2 tablespoons chicken base to the pot. Now you can add lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine, then heat almost to a boil. Then turn off the heat.
Stir in the cream. Add the basil and parsley and stir.

Serve the soup warm!

{thanks to www.foodnetwork.com for the picture & the recipe - note: I modified the recipe just slightly}

2 comments:

  1. looks soooo yummy! yes, I LOVE the Pioneer Woman cookbooks! Whenever I have extra time at Costco I love to sit in the book section and browse her cookbooks. =) I actually have one...my bros gave it to me for my birthday. Fabulous gift idea-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes.....that looks YUMMY!!! You are such a great cook, Ems!
    hugs,
    Alli

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)