The California Trip: Part Last

Tuesday, September 1, 2015


Sunday was warm and bright. The drive down to Sacramento was beautiful, and I discovered that taking pictures with Mums' phone can become quite addicting...


We stopped halfway down the mountain to put our feet in a little stream, a stream that runs cold and clear down from the lake above, and it was so pleasant to feel the hot sand beneath our toes, and to hear the water gurgling over the rocks on its way toward Bridal Veil Falls. There were families gathered for picnics, mostly Mexican families with adorable brown-eyed little children and a babbling Spanglish that I love. 



We were up and about at 4:00 a.m. Monday morning, sad to be leaving, but excited about a day of flying, and happily stocked up on wonderful memories. I told myself I wouldn't cry when we left. Ha!

Anyway (two thousand tissues later), it sure was fun to be on a plane again! I never get tired of flying, or at least I haven't yet and I don't plan on it anytime soon. :) A plane experience is even more amazing when you get to enjoy (1) incredible views, (2) Starbucks coffee, (3) Lindt & Sprungli dark chocolate, and (4) a good book (Currently in the middle of "You & Me Forever" by Francis Chan). I took a break from reading and taking pictures to play a game on that little airplane screen thingy... it was something with a caveman trying to get away from a lava flow. Sadly, somewhere in between reading the instructions too fast and being distracted by the view out my window, the poor caveman lost. But at least I won a crossword puzzle!


Here (above) is a picture I quickly snapped as we were leaving. Please disregard the horizon line. Let's assume it was meant to be at that angle. Or maybe it was something about the plane being on an angle. Yeah, that was probably it. :)

By the time we were over Vermont, it was too dark to see anything but the faraway fluffy whiteness of the clouds below us, and it was totally fascinating because there was a lightning storm going on in the clouds. As we descended into Burlington, we came down right through the storm, and I kept my face pressed to the window, watching. Lightning kept flashing brightly all around us, and the plane bucketed up and down and all around. Quite the experience! I like turbulence, and I like storms, and I’ve never had the two together before.

And then we were home... to hugs and talking and the best family in the world!

It was a good trip, a wonderful trip, and I am grateful for every experience. Next year, Lord-willing, I hope to be at Tahoe again! Til then, I am thankful for the memories, thankful for the friendships, and happy with the knowledge that there are many locations in this country that are awesome. I love this country.

With much appreciation for the wonderful people & places in my life,
Emily Anneliese

1 comment:


  1. I miss you so much......sitting down to write an email to you right now.:)

    love,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)